Tasks are how you break down your work and track your team's hours in TrackingTime. They can live on their own or within a specific project. Projects are simply a way to group tasks together. For instance, you might have a task to write a project proposal, and another teammate is responsible for reviewing it. You can add these tasks in TrackingTime and let your team track the time they spent working on them.
To add a new task click on the "+" button at the upper corner of the screen and select Task. The following pop-up will appear where you can enter the task details.
These are the task details you can edit:
- Task name: Give your task a name. Up to 500 characters are allowed. Task names are not unique. This field is required.
- Project: Assign the new task to a project. When you click on this field a list of your existing projects will appear. You can either select one of them or enter a project name to add a new project and assign the task to it.
- Users: Select the task assignees from the list. A task can be assigned to one or more users.
- Estimated time: Enter the amount of hours you think will be required to complete this task.
- Due date: Click on ‘Select a date’ to choose the date by when the task should be completed.
If you enabled Money Mode you'll also be able to:
- Billable: Specify whether we should mark this task as billable or not. Available by enabling Money Mode.
- Hourly rate: If the task is billable, you can enter an hourly rate for it. Available by enabling Money Mode.
When you're done entering the task's details, remember to click 'Save' to save to add your new task. The pop-up will be closed and the newly created task will be added to your list.
Manage tasks inside a project
Here are some best practices on how to handle your tasks inside a project:
- If you are adding tasks to a project you can simply select the project from the left column and add one task after another by just hitting the enter key on your keyboard.
- To fill task details just click on it and a right panel will show up where you can complete all the data listed above.
- Assign tasks to users by clicking on the plus sign to the right of the task line.
- You can leave tasks unassigned. Just enter the task name and assign the users later.