Formula to track a task
The following formula in the cell where you'd like to display the tracking button.
="TrackingTime:"+[select the cell for your task]
Formula to track a project task
In case you'd also like to specify the task's project, you need to use the following formula to specify which cell contains the project name.
="TrackingTime:"+[select the cell for your task]+",,"+[select the cell for your project]
Step by Step Guide
Here's a step by step guide on how to start tracking your time in Smartsheet.
- Download and install the TrackingTime Button for Chrome.
- Once installed, click on the extension icon and enter your email and password to log into your TrackingTime account. If you don't have a TrackingTime account yet, you can signup for free.
- Go to Smartsheet and open the sheet you'd like to use for time tracking.
- Select the cell where you want the tracking button to appear.
- Enter the following formula:
and select the cell which contains the name of the task you want to track.
That's it. Now, you can start tracking your time by clicking on the button you've just added to your Smartsheet.
Smart Task Selection
Your tasks and projects in Smartsheet will be automatically synced with your TrackingTime account. We'll look in your TrackingTime account for a task with the name displayed on the cell you selected. If it doesn't exist yet, we'll automatically create it. Similarly, if the project you specified doesn't exist yet, we'll automatically add it and assign the task to it.